Last week, at the Sunday magazine T Magazine, complementary to the New York Times, there was a release of a whole new profile on Miuccia Prada. The article by Andrew O’Hagan was not only an absolute delight but an eye-opening experience to a whole new perspective of who’s the real magnate behind one of the biggest and most recognized fashion brands, Prada. I thought it will be a good idea to highlight the biggest achievements of Miuccia Prada, not only because of her amazing role in the fashion industry but because I think is important to remember these as daily basis information.
1. When Miuccia Prada was born (1949), the fashion house of Prada already existed, and was managed and created by her grandfather, Mario Prada.
2. The first piece created by Miuccia Prada was a black nylon rucksack (1978). This piece was not only an absolute success on the fashion house sales but the piece that made Miuccia decide her ultimate role as a head designer in the fashion industry.
3. Miuccia Prada is currently married to Patrizio Bertelli, which is the current CEO at Prada S.p.A.
4. Miuccia Prada on her opinion towards the design aesthetic: “…not interested in the silhouette and I’m not able to draw. It’s complicated.”
5. Miuccia Prada had a brief role on the Performing Arts field, training as a mime, and performed several times at La Scala Opera House.
6. Miuccia Prada has a Ph.D. in political science from Milan University.
7. Miuccia Prada is not only the head designer at Prada, but also the head designer and founder at Miu Miu.
8. The current fashion brand name, Miu Miu was given based on her childhood’s nickname.
9. Because there’s always a story behind the design, Miuccia Prada has an infinite love for the antique jewelry.
10. According to Miuccia Prada, her current work can be defined as a “self-portrait.”