My favorite time of the year has come. It’s not even september and most of all the september issues are already out and available for sale. I can’t wait to be a millionaire and go out and buy ALL OF THEM -someday (one can dream you know?). So here’s the selection of what I’ve found until now. Let me know if you have any images available so we can add them to the list. Enjoy!
The media is one of the main characters around the planet that never sleeps. And with the internet moving the competition as fast as ever, the flowing of information can be said to be quicker than light speed. Twitter publishes more than 400 millions tweets per day and Facebook is looking forward to suscribe more than one billion users by the end of the year. Just imagine how quick do we have to move and check our phones, computers, ipads, and basically every single technologic device to keep up with what’s going on… TV is no longer as ‘fashionable’ as it was before, now that YouTube is full and free livestream and downloads are available for basically anyone who knows how to type. This is why we keep moving into the digital world and staying tuned with the latest news. It’s free, it’s easy to use and we’re connected 24/7. I love it. We can be ‘there’ by not actually being ‘there’… isn’t that right? Just see this example that has been used for more than a year now… Here we go, and let the real interesting post start:
Business of Fashion (my favorite blog) apparently has it’s main offices in London. London is not only one of the fashion capital cities, but the host to some of the most wonderful colleges and places around the world. One of them? Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design. A lot of big names have graduated from this amazing institution, including Alexander McQueen and Diane Von Fürstenberg. They have great academic programs for almost any type of person and the events are just wonderful. They invite recognized personalities to come and talk to an exclusive audience and then, they livestream it through YouTube.
The latest? Tory Burch. She’s a mother, fashion designer, and the owner of her own main brand. If you haven’t heard about her, just google it. You’ll be impressed, I promise (I still wonder why Vogue USA hasn’t pick her for one of their covers). I was listening to the ‘live’ conversation they had on november 26th, leaded by Business of Fashion’s editor Imran Amed, and her life deserves more than just these words. That’s why after a long while of not writing I decided to get a little bit inspired and list the facts that impressed me the most.
1. Tory Burch is an art history major from Penn State. She never majored neither in design or business management.
2. Burch started working as a designer’s assistant, and as they say, networking is everything. Burch met the person who brought her next, into Harper’s Bazaar in this first job in New York. After Harper’s Burch jumped to Ralph Lauren as a copywriter, where she met Vera Wang. Then, she worked for Wang, under the condition that she will be working on the ready-to-wear division.
3. Her logo wasn’t based on the typical luxury symbol. If you look closely her initials, the T’s are together, and the circle form is a little tribute to Burch’s love for Morocco.
4. Burch’s first big advertising gig‘ was after Oprah interviewed her. This went real because of the fact that a PR representative inside her brand decided to send some of the accessories to Oprah as a special gift, and then see what could happen. Burch got called back immediately, and asked for an exclusive interview.
5. After the Oprah‘ interview, the website got more than 8 million hits, in less than 24 hours.
6. Tory Burch has more than 100 stores around the world, including locations in the USA, Paris and Asia.
7. As mentioned before, Burch is mother to three boys and three step-daughters, which has inspired her not only in creating different lines with masculine touches, such as her new fragrance, but a future sport-wear line (coming soon in 2015).
8. Burch has a deep concern for Social Responsibility, and this is why the brand supports/owns an independent foundation called the ‘Tory Burch Foundation’. This project is dedicated to the female (single mothers) from different communities, for them to learn about entrepreneurship and increasing their chances for a better life.
9. In february of 2014, Tory Burch will be celebrating its 10th anniversary as an independent and successful brand.
10 + Bonus. Two fun facts: 1. Tory Burch’s Reva Flats (one of the most valuable and successful products inside the brand’s portfolio) were named after Tory’s mother. 2. Tory Burch had to work two years from her apartment, with her team, while the first store was established and ready to present.
The conversation was amazing and it definitely showed how authentic Tory Burch can be. Don’t miss the chance, and check it out here!
Good morning! We’re almost two weeks away from september and the fashion world is moving as quick as ever. September is not only the month for the special edition issues, but the beginning of the fashion year. The best photographers, creative directors, designers, editors and editorial assistants plus a whole staff come together for the most important, and probably thickest issue of the whole year.
As they say… “The early bird catches the worm“, and it totally applies when the first september issues are out. One of the first ones to come out? Japan of course, and my favorite cover until now. Cara Delevingne is the chosen one, and if you take a sneak peek into basically everything related to fashion, her picture is always there. The other main covers include Jennifer Lawrence for Vogue USA, Blake Lively for Lucky Magazine, Princess Di for Vanity Fair USA, Sarah Jessica Parker for Harpers Bazaar USA, Kate Upton for Elle USA, Jennifer Aniston for Glamour USA and Zooey Deschanel for Marie-Claire USA. I can’t wait to have all of these magazines in my hand!
Have a great day!!!