“Good fashion is evolution, not revolution”
Today, (May 18th), we remember the official birthday of a legendary and iconic designer who left its legacy inspiring new and formal talents around the world. Because we love listing the most interesting facts about the greatest leaders inside and out the fashion and artistic industry, here’s the list for Pierre Balmain.
1. The designer’s full name was Pierre Alexandre Claudius Balmain , and was born in St-Jean-de-Maurienne, in the Savoy region of France.
2. As always, the designers bring unique background. After living for a little while in St-Jean-de-Maurienne, Balmain moves to Paris where he studies architecture.
3. Then, Balmain goes and serves in the French air force, based in Paris.
4. You’ll never know who you’ll run into… This is when Balmain had worked for the designers Edward Molyneux and Lucien Lelong, alongside Christian Dior .
5. (Have you seen Midnight In Paris by Woody Allen ? If not, go now so you can understand an accurate reference about this.) Gertrude Stein, a family friend, wrote a celebratory piece on Balmain for the local magazine, and then, the Duchess of Windsor placed an immediate order.
6. Balmain was forever associated with the style called “Jolie Madame.” It meant: “Magnificently made, rather fitted elegant and luxurious fashions”
7. Design goes through every field around the world. Balmain’s frequent-flier status was put to good practical use when he designed stewardess uniforms for Singapore Airlines.
8. If you want to know a little bit more about Balmain and his unique life, the designer published his memoirs, My Years and Seasons.